Contact Police

Contact Police

If you find yourself in trouble or unsafe, please contact the police by calling 999 to report emergencies or by calling 101 for non-emergencies. For more information, please visit this website:

How to let police know you need help, but it unsafe to talk

Police have issued a reminder about what to do in a situation in which you’re able to dial 999, but unable to tell the operator you need help. The procedure is as follows:

  1. When you phone 999, the operator will ask what emergency service you need. If there’s no request, the assistant will ask you to ‘cough‘, or make some other audible indication in the case of a police emergency.
  2. If even making any sound is dangerous, and therefore no request is made, the call will be put through to an automated system, which asks the caller to press ‘55‘ if they’re in trouble.


Be aware that If no sound is made and ’55’ isn’t dialled, the police will not attend. Please do not think that just because you dial 999 that police will attend.